Monday, March 1, 2010

ordinary citizens are worms for administration

I drive from Faridabad to reach my office in Krishi Bhawan and on any given day and morning traffic, it normally takes about an hour to reach. I started for my office on February 15 and was coming via Surajkund road when noticed that the ridge road (from Claridges Hotel till it meets the Tughlakabaad Fort) is blocked for traffic and this was at 8.15 in the morning. There were policemen standing at the circle and diverting traffic to prahaladpur road. Its a narrow road and has been dug up in places. And there was total chaos. It was one of the worst traffic jams I have ever encountered in my life and the stretch of 1.5 Kms took 2 hours. It was not all. The staggering effect of slow moving traffic continued and it took me 3 and a half hours to reach my workplace.
There was no announcement from the police as to why the ridge road was blocked. It was only the next day that I saw in Times of India that the road was blocked as an international shooting event is taking place from February 15 till 28 and that the road is blocked so that the players and VIPs ( whatever that means) could have an easy uninterrupted access to Shooting Range!
It meant that for the sake of convenience of few 100 players, the entire population of Faridabad who goes to Delhi via Ridge Road is made to crawl on roads! What kind of preperations is this for the Commenwealth Games? Does the convenience of local citizens means anything to the authorities? Why are ordinary citizens who have no voice treated like worms who could be trampled anytime by the authorities ( read politicians)? It was thanks to TOI article that Police after 3 days gave some sort of explanation but the ridge road blockade continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment